Skip to main content

There's been more than one battle at Waterloo you know!

                                                            "Waterloo"

'My, my, at Waterloo Napoleon did surrender
Oh yeah, and I have met my destiny in quite a similar way
The history book on the shelf
Is always repeating itself...'

What do you know about Waterloo?

Do you say the words 'Waterloo', 
and immediately launch into Abba's famous song?!

If so, you're right!
'At Waterloo Napoleon did surrender'


Fast forward two hundred years, and local Waterloo Blogger Gattina
is kindly showing me the famous sights of the Battle of Waterloo.
Where Napoleon's tyrannic rule ended, changing the direction of Europe.

As we arrive at the man made Butte Du Lion
we notice masses of soldiers ready for action,
as if they were going off to fight in 1815.

The area appears to be a massive construction site,
with frenetic activity and workmen trying to finalise building
 before the upcoming bicentenary celebrations.
These days, instead of being on horseback,
the soldiers are in cars fighting for a parking space!

Butte du Lion, Waterloo
The organisers are expecting 120,000 spectators
at the Waterloo 2015 commemorations on June 19-20 2015.
 This will be the biggest reenactment of the Battle of Waterloo
 with 5,000 soldiers, 300 horses and 100 cannon.

Hopefully by then, they will have finished the building works
and completed the car park!


'How nice of you to arrange a VIP welcome!'

I say to Gattina, as the band swings into full force on our arrival!


It was lovely to meet Gattina,
who appears quite used to meeting random bloggers
 introduced via the Internet, but for me this was a first!

I first got to know Gattina through her blog  which I love to read as
as it brings me up to date on my previous life living in Belgium.

This is what happens when two bloggers meet:

"Hello"

 Hug (as we feel we're meeting old friends)

Photos!

You can see Gattina's version of events here

There are 226 steps which give a panoramic view of the battlefield.
The new underground memorial was having it's official opening that day
with invited dignitaries, hence the soldiers and the band.
 TV crews and media, swirl around and Gattina and I snap happily away.

We are in blogging heaven!

Musicians performing at the inauguration of the Waterloo Memorial 
We follow a line of soldiers being signed in to the VIP opening,
check out the cow hide back packs!

 

After all this excitement and a drink at the cafe, 
to get to know each other a little better, 
we head off to the Ferme de Hougoumont, Braine l'Alleud.

Hougoumont was the pivotal point 
in the Duke of Wellington's defensive line in the Battle of Waterloo.
Once sadly derelict,
it is slowly being transformed with the help of British donations
which are being matched pound for pound by Belgium.


Peter Snow reports below "It was here at this peaceful farm 200 years ago that 5500 British and German troops died or were injured, in one of the epic struggles of history. Wellington said that the outcome of the battle of Waterloo depended on closing the gates at Hougoumont".
Here you can find more details of Project Hougoumont below:





Walking around the austere Hougoumont buildings 
I am transported back to my own 
 personal battles in Belgium,
 arriving to live in Brussels, over twenty years ago
with my DH and two children, one just ten days old...

It was about giving up a career 
and becoming a full time stay at home Mum,
in a country where I knew no one.


It was about learning to converse in a country 
which had three official languages 
 French, Flemish and German
AND
where everyone was multi-lingual whilst
moi, arriving with basic school girl French, felt illiterate!

There were others but
my battle didn't last too long,
like Napoleon I capitulated
into the 'stay at home' Mum role
and grew to love Belgium!

I even ended up living there, twice and loving it!

'The history book on the shelf
Is always repeating itself...'


A massive thank you to Gattina for a wonderful day out
It was a pleasure to meet you!


Linking with the following:

Song-ography: Waterloo by Abba

Alphabe Thursday
B: for Belgium Blogging Buddy
Thanks Jenny!

The Good, The Random, The Fun





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat