Skip to main content

If it's Monday it must be New England!


It snowed last week.
Whilst the locals are well over their long cold winter, 
for those of us visiting from Australia, this was exciting.
We don't ever wake to snow on the ground in Melbourne!

There was not a humongous amount of snow,
no huge deluge that would stop us from getting places,
but a pretty amount, a light frosting 
that made everything in New England look beautiful.
A chilly start to the day

We are in the States visiting my daughter on exchange at NYU and were driving to my Uncle and Aunt's house in Litchfield, North Western Connecticut.
The town is a two and a half drive from New York city.
The drive was an experience for me at the wheel!

We wanted to show our son life out of New York city
We loved the quaint main streets and village greens
of the small towns along the way,
with the American Flags fluttering.
Each town we drove through we said
"wow - that's pretty!"

We said that a lot!
 
The houses got bigger and bigger, as we drove through the scenic hills 
and valleys there were more and more pretty churches and houses.
... and a few power lines!


We visited 'The Lure of the Litchfield Hills,' 
a newly opened exhibit at the Litchfield museum on Colonial Revival. 

Litchfield is often described as the quintessential New England town,
 and it was fascinating to learn more about the town 
and the immaculate homes with white paint and black shutters. 
These are not a product of the colonial era, but a late 19th and early 20th century movement known as colonial revival.

We also went to the Tapping Reeve House and Law School 
America's first law school.

Hats off to the Litchfield Historical Society for both these wonderful museums.


The next day with the snow had gone, we called in at Woodstock, 
the sleepy arty town close to where we were staying. 
Famous for in the 1969's refusing a permit for the Woodstock festival
Which is why the festival ended up at Bethal Woods...

Two of our children have ended up at Woodstock boarding school 
in the foothills of the Himalayas, India
and so I was gathering material for a future Woodstock blog
Do you do this on holiday,
Plan your days out around potential blog posts?!

Woodstock, NY famous for lending it's name to the Woodstock festival

We then drove nearly 60 miles
to the site of the actual Woodstock festival at Bethal Woods
for The Story of the 60's museum.

A chance conversation over lunch with a couple of employees
 and a remark that this was the most expensive tourist attraction
we'd been to, so it better be good,
led to a personal guided tour by Glenn
that will be one of the highlights of our entire trip!
The multimedia permanent exhibit includes 20 films, 5 interactive productions, text panels and artifacts

Glenn was at the original festival as a food vendor, 

although his job finished early after they ran out of food after a day and a half,
We loved hearing Glenn's stories!
He brought the original festival to light 
and explained to us about the upcoming season of concerts.

Thanks Glenn - our visit turned out to be great value!

Downstairs we found a exhibit America Meets The Beatles!
A celebration of the 50th anniversary of The Beatles’ arrival in the U.S. in 1964.
I liked the above photos of the Beatles going by train to Washington,as we were just rushing to catch the train to Washington ourselves!
Unfortunately no-one told us that getting back to New York was going to be a nightmare trip, DH missed the train!
New York in the distance - from the car park waiting to get through the Lincoln tunnel

So that was New England, next stop Washington DC!
I hope you have enjoyed joining me on my if it's Monday it must be New England, whistle stop tour of America
I hope you can join me again soon to find out what Washington was like!

I love receiving your comments, so please leave a comment if you can.
For those without Google+ I can be reached by e-mail,
found on the side bar.
Thank you for stopping by!

I am linking with Our World Tuesday
thank you to all the hosts




Smiling Sally at Blue Monday
Thank you Sally






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat