Skip to main content

Orange You Glad it's Friday 5th October?

Well hello, remember me? 
I'm the one who disappeared in the middle of the school holidays without even a polite goodbye... 
I'm sorry. I didn't expect to be gone so long. 
I brought you flowers and a gift to make up. Can you stay for a cuppa?
I'm not quite sure what happened but now I plan to #GetBackOnTrack 
in more ways than one...
How about a nice cup of Malaysian Tea for a change?
It's been revolving doors here... 

Our two Home Stay Year 12 school students from Hong Kong and China have just finished ten days of mock examinations for the International Baccalaureate Diploma. Never in the history of our household, has every exam taken, been deemed  as "very good".  

I'm, of course taking full credit for this. Putting their success down to healthy dinners, and the extra mental boost they get from the copious amounts of lime juice and jelly beans I have supplied!
Some serious studying going on at our place
Our sitting room was offered as a makeshift study hall, where for three weeks they could leave out their books. It has been transformed into a mini library, the exam timetable posted to the fireplace mantle. You should see the books.  They arrived in a minibus, trundling suitcases groaning under an impressive array of literature and past IB exam papers . 

With our open plan living my three teenage kids come bounding down their stairs each morning to be faced with students already hard at work - A perfect example of how it should be done. 

I would put this in your face illustration of how the rest of the world works to achieve academic success, as one of my finest achievements of the September school holidays!!!


Barrots, was one of my lesser accomplishments. 


With a full house I seem to have been cooking a lot, this hols. I haven't done it without help. Above is a perfect example of why you never send your husband to the grocery store to get broccoli. Just look what he came back with...and not a broccoli head to be seen.

It's called a barrot. A cross between beetroot and a carrot, and he hates beetroot! We had a long conversation about whether I should cook it in the same pan as the carrots. But he assured me that carrots don't turn everything orange...

As you know, I get away with a lot on the culinary front because the majority of our house guests have never left their country of origin and I boldly carry it off as 'Australian', whatever my disaster. Well not so that evening.

Everyone was suspicious of my dinner. The barrots were, granted a talking point. But the slightly pink dyed carrots... 

Ermm moving swiftly on, drink anyone?


The Cups Estate vineyard, Mornington Peninsula
Yesterday we enjoyed lunch at the Cups Estate on the Mornington Peninsula. Daughter No 1 took this photo and we love the vines reflected in the wine glass. She's been here there and everywhere this holiday showing her visiting British boyfriend the sights. 

We counted we've had ten trips to the airport this holidays for various family members. I told you it's been revolving doors. 

Daughter No 2 gets back from competing at the Australian University Games in Queensland today. They will come away with the Women's Football Silver medal, after the Grand Final went to extra time. 

We've enjoyed a few parties these holidays, last weekend we were in Wilson's Promontory at the southern most tip of the State. I will blog more about this next week.  But in the meantime here is a teaser photo, It is spectacular.


Picnic Beach, Wilson's Prom, Victoria

Even the dog has had a lady friend to stay, with eight in the house and two dogs, that's it. I put the 'closed for business' sign up on the front door. Full. No space in the Inn.

We are starting to think about the Tennis in January - The Aussie Open tickets go on sale next week and they have just announced the biggest prize money ever, good news for the players! Here is the Crazy Poodle and his lady friend in front of our local tennis courts.


Mutt and Molly

Well can't stop I've got a big invitation for tomorrow. We're off to the races. So I've got my orange hat out to show you, last worn at Melbourne Cup 2003. I'm think of wearing it tomorrow. Well why not? (apart from hat fashions having changed in the last decade...)


Two problems, we've sadly not got a runner tomorrow (our lass is out at grass) and that means no car parking space at Flemington so I might look a tad OTT on the train. AND we're buying a vacuum cleaner on the way, which is a huge excitement, sad person that I am. I will definitely look a tad over dressed in Godfrey's tomorrow with my hat on. They have a sale so it will be a scrum...



I have put a call into a friend to check and apparently there will be hats in the Committee Room at the Victorian Racing Club on Saturday. My kids are doubtful as to whether I should/could carry the orange hat off. They said I should put it out there on Facebook...


Hat - Hot or Not?
Whadda you think?



Do pop over to see Maria and the other OYGIF posts if you have a chance


Orange You Glad It's Friday

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat