Skip to main content

Happy Blue Blairgowrie Monday

Smiling Sally


Happy Birthday and many happy returns comments of the day, to Sally and the Blue Monday gang on your fifth birthday today - whoo hoo.  It is my blogging birthday on Wednesday and I thank you seasoned fellow bloggers for being so welcoming last week, and for making me feel, at one year old, so young this week!!
I had a week visiting many of the blogs which I really enjoyed, and thank to those who left a comment here. I especially enjoyed the last of the gorgeous August summer days around the world, in particular those involving boats and water. I'm a Pisces who loves the water as long as I'm not the one getting wet! We have our long Aussie summer ahead to enjoy so I thought I'd take you to the beach this week - yippee!

We were heading off to the Mornington Peninsula, an hour out of Melbourne, supposedly for some spring cleaning at our beach house... but I'll let you into a little secret, the weather was so lovely this (above) was as close as I got to my trusty old feather duster, instead I spent most of the time taking blue photos!!
Don't you just love these beach huts? I want one, far less work and right on the beach!!! Shall I put one on my Christmas list? I kid you not, the Christmas decorations are up in David Jones at Chadstone already...


Our winter August days have been above average in temperature at both ends of the scale. If you picked the right week at Mt Buller, about three hours out of Melbourne this season, you would have found some pretty decent snow and no one has complained as the temperature in Melbourne soared on Fathers Day yesterday to 23 degrees.

Well we're happy as our temperatures are set to reach a balmy 26 degrees Celsius (79 degrees Fahrenheit) this week. So it's off with the coats, just as it's off with the gloves - don't forget we are going into a General Election next weekend, and our Pollies (it's ok, it's polite Aussie slang for a politician) are into their final week of campaigning. We may well have a new Prime Minister by next Monday...

Blairgowrie foreshore with views to Arthurs Seat
Anyway, easily distracted from the hoover and the myriad of jobs to be done, we had a lovely walk along the Blairgowrie foreshore. What we love about the Mornington Peninsula is that you have the choice of the calm front beaches facing Port Philip Bay, or the wild and rugged surf beaches of Bass Strait in the south. The surf beaches are my favourite, but if you want a decent coffee at the end then you need the front bay beaches, plus the crazy poodle can come too...

Walking the crazy poodle
Beautiful Blairgowrie is a seaside village originally named after Blairgowrie in Scotland - hello Scotland!! This region is such a popular holiday weekend escape that we prefer it at this time of year when as you will see we can have the beaches all to ourselves... Holiday makers love it here because of the mass of things to do in the region - from the vineyards, golf, the world famous Peninsula Hot Springs and a myriad of associated spas that have sprung up (sorry ha ha!) in the region...


We came across this boat at the Blairgowerie yacht squadron boat which was being winched out of the water along the slipway and we later saw was having a spring clean wash down - at last someone was getting their house work accomplished and everything shipshape for summer!

There is a very cool webcam at the Yacht Club so if you want to check out what it looks like Click here



There are some very nice yachts in what is one of the safest harbours on the Victorian coast, which is why it is such a popular beach in summer for swimmers. All year round you'll see divers and people fishing off the jetty. 

There are great views of the sea, mountains and even the distant skyline of Melbourne, although I'd need extra strength glasses to spot this!

Blairgowrie Yacht Club jetty
We had a lovely morning admiring all the yachts, the sun was out and everyone was really chatty. It was a fantastic end to a busy week.

A week in which we sadly waved goodbye to the two lovely Japanese nurses who had been staying with us (hello Japan!)
We are still flat out playing soccer matches (well not me, the kids!) and hoping for some good news on this next week... Our Aussie Rules footy team Hawthorn are into the finals and I'm hoping there is no Blue news on this in the next few weeks because if there is, it means our team (gold and brown) haven't won! We won't mention the Cricket... Except this is a win-win for me being a British Aussie

We still cheering on Andy Murray and Lleyton Hewitt in the US Open tennis... I told you we were a sports mad family...


Well will sign off for now. If you would like to pop over to see Sally and the other Blue Monday blogs I know they'd be pleased to see you... 

Thanks for stopping by and hope to see you soon!

Bye for now!

Little Wandering Wren


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat