Skip to main content

Das Aus!

Day 59-60 A picnic in the Alps - that's cool!!!
I have arrived for 30 hours in Switzerland with an Aussie friend who has recently relocated from Aus to Zug. It was an amazing stay, here are some of the fun things we did...




The Aus Zug poster above means From Zug which I thought was apt.
Zug is a small town in the heart of Switzerland easily reached by a direct train (45 mins) which is found one escalator down in the Arrivals Hall - how good is that? It is picturesque Hans Christian Anderson type town with the old medieval buildings and cobbled streets looking like they came straight out of a fairy tale...




It is easy to see why this would be a popular place for a few years or more. Switzerland has been described as the 'Less tax, More fun'... posting for expats, and it certainly looks a wonderful life. Zug offers one of the worlds lowest tax regimes and is the reason why nearly 30,000 companies are registered here...
It's a safe, everything works, affluent but almost understated sort of a place... The kind of place from the moment you arrive, you think 'Life's Good'... Just look at the inviting first view of the snow capped Alps from the plane...




A stroll through the lanes of the old town of Zug leads past the picturesque houses and restaurants with their magnificent view of Lake Zug. On a clear non-misty day there is a great view of the mountains behind, not a lot to see today, but it was still very pretty...




Every where we turned, there were interesting buildings or statutes with great stories, such as the Greth Schell Brunnen - this fountain statue shows a figure of Greth Schell, bent over, carrying her drunken husband home in a basket....




I mentioned before that everything seems to work well in Switzerland this occurs with some planning and rules, as the below photos show. Even the dog poo bags are posh here...Woe betide anyone who keeps a dog without the necessary proof that their pooch has attended and passed all the necessary doggy behavioral lessons...
The other photo below shows the much sort out refuse bags which are kept under lock and key in the Supermarket. A roll of garbage bags costs around $40 Swiss Francs (approx $40 USD). This simple measure is effective in minimizing waste.




We take a drive out into the countryside. As we wind our way up the mountainside into and then above the clouds, we can see endless expanse of alpine ranges. We stop at the top of the Raten ranges and I feel like I'm in a Christmas card....




One word - Wow!...

Or maybe a song....

I love to go a wan-de-ring
Along the mountain tr-a-a-ck
and as I go I love to sing
My knapsack on my back
Val-deri, Val-dera, Val-deri, Val-dera - ha ha ha ha ....





It was an brilliant idea for a walk in the Alps and an absolutely perfect place for a picnic....We climbed up past the remains of earlier snow to a viewing point down to Zurich. A real 'The hills are alive with the sound of music' moment...




We take the long way back to Zug and by the end of the day, we covered some ground and seen four Lakes; Lucerne, Zug, Zurich, and Lake Aegeri.
I couldn't have imagined a better day in Switzerland - thank you so much!
Little Wandering Wren

Location:Zug, Switzerland, Europe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat