Skip to main content

A comfortably average performance. Not...

DAY SIX At School
Mussoorie: the Queen of Hills is a hill station, popular with tourists for it's scenic beauty, but it has also developed into an important centre for education and business. I totally underestimate the length of time it takes to drive around the hillside, it is school drop off time....
It feels like a cross between Katmandu and Darjeeling to me, less cows in the streets, more pack horses. Lots of pashmina's and wooly jumpers on sale. Very local but safe. Cars travel slowly, max 40km's per hour with the horn on, the turns are worse than a hair-pin bend, often taking several manoeuvres to get around. Surprisingly there are few dents in the cars and the drivers are masters of getting through the smallest of spaces.




We stop at yet another traffic jam next to the men's toilets, I catch myself staring at a man having a slash, half impressed that he has chosen to do so here rather than on the streets, half impressed with the beautiful tiles in the latrines and the other half wondering why on earth they didn't finish the job and put a door on..... I am wondering whether there is a ladies equivalent somewhere....




We move on edging past the cars jam packed with kids in smart shirts off to school. And I mean jam packed cars licensed only for 5 in Australia with 12 or more. At this point I have realized I haven't put my seat belt on.... No one does.....




I arrive at the famous school gates, there is no welcome committee, no one to say congratulations for having made it or thanks for coming - I suspect most Parents will have had equally impressive journeys to get here....
I find a desk and get my son's report card and sit in the sun reading it. First comment English "...a competent student who has yet to distinguish himself significantly.... He will need to exert himself to challenge his existing abilities and seek to grow beyond his comfortably average performances."
I crack out laughing. I cannot think of anything my son has done in his 16 years which has challenged his existing abilities more, than his first 12 weeks at Woodstock, the fact that he has achieved a comfortably average performance is impressive to his Mother, and bursting with pride I set off to find the teacher.




That is easier said than done. The Quad was full of staff crammed in by subject, maybe 6 Maths teachers squashed behind a trestle table each with a yellow tablecloth and maybe 5 chairs in front. It is an academic version of musical chairs and I miss out getting my bum on that seat on several occasions, upstaged by Parents who know the ropes. Every single teacher I need to see is talking earnestly to parents... After two rounds of all the tables I am just about to retire defeated when I spot an ex staff member from our Melbourne school. We have a lovely chat and I head off for round two.
I loiter with intent in front of the French teacher, the Indian Dad is now off topic and not even discussing his son.... I find a random chair and noisily pull it up, this is clearly a tad rude, but they get the hint. Made it! Needing to make up with the teacher for interrupting I start with "Hi, I'm from Australia (not simply a 26 hr road trip......) I come bearing gifts" .......as I plonk the entire Yr 10 French syllabus and worksheets given to me by my son's Aussie French teacher in his lap....He is great, I like him and very accommodating to ensuring that both Indian and Aussie French homework is completed by December..
Tick - off to find another Teacher. Biology is free. a young teacher. He has written a glowing report "a successful quarter in advanced biology" but starts by telling me that there is a bit of an attitude, but thinks it is more due to where he sits in the class. I am shocked. In all my years of Parent - Teacher interviews I've never had this before. I launch a counter attack, I blame it on the thinness of the air..... "well move him then, you are the teacher" the teachers around snigger into their chai, realizing that I have just offended the poor teacher, I quickly follow up with the comment that I will have stern words ... I move swiftly on.....
English - I really liked the teacher, I would imagine his classes would be fun. I tell him that as a English teacher I knew he would have chosen his words on his report card carefully, but that I had been surprised by the comment. The Aussie teacher next to him, tells him "yeah you can't write that to the Aussies' they will challenge you on it, it works with the Asians!"
There are no more teachers free and I head in to see the residency staff. . The conversation stops abruptly as my son arrives. He looks thin but happy with really long hair!
We head off to explore the school, I am struck by how big it is and how spread out. Everything is a hike.... The kids look happy. I attend a meeting about applying for college. 10% of students stay in India, 10% return to Korea the rest go all over the world. The poor careers lady has her work cut out trying to keep on top of what is required for the different countries. She advises for each student to narrow it down to 1 or 2 regions in the world. How cool is that?!




I join the queue for lunch and try to work out who are the parents to sit with. There is no real system for this and it feels hard work, I feel like the new kid on the block. Where's the Parent's Association with the welcome table?!!!
I meet my son after school.... his first words were " Mum, the Biology teacher is going to e-mail you, he said to tell you he got me confused with someone else...." I'm not bloody surprised if it was tough for the parents, it must have been even worse for the teachers... Four hours of non stop talking, and not knowing which Parents would win the musical chairs to be next in front of them....
I am left with the overall impression of how glad I am for my son to be having this experience, as we stop to admire the view on the walk home, we both agree it's beautiful here.
Little Wandering Wren

Location:Mussoorie, Uttarakhand, INDIA

Comments

Neesie said…
I have to apologise...I've always hated parents evening and thought I was hard done by but now I realise it was nothing compared to all this!
Never underestimate a Mother's devotion to duty ;D

I think you should get a gold star!

Enjoy your special time with your son x

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat